The Contest of Undergraduate, Dissertations and Theses Works (CTD-IE) of the V Brazilian Congress on Informatics in Education (CBIE 2016) will pick out and award the best three doctoral theses, master’s dissertations and final undergraduate works on Informatics in Education which were finished (defended and approved) from July 1st, 2015 to June 31, 2016. Exceptional cases where the applicant has defended the work before July 2015 may be accepted by the Program Committee upon justifications submitted along with the work.
Submitted works (see details below) will go through a selection process which will classify up to 6 (six) best works in each category (doctoral theses, master’s dissertations and final undergraduate works).
Submission and Selection
Each submitted work must include the following files (PDF format):
2. A statement indicating one of the following options:
- Original paper (unpublished)
- Paper published in another event
- Paper submitted to another event (including the CBIE 2016)
3. Full text (undergrad work, dissertation, or thesis)
4. A declaration of conclusion containing (necessarily):
- Information about the candidate, advisor, program (or major), and work title;
- Date on which defense occurred and its result (approval);
- This document must be dated and signed by the program chair (course coordinator);
- Justification (only when it was finished out of the specified time).
Some additional points should be observed regarding the submission and its eventual publication:
- Papers should be between 6 (six) and 10 (ten) pages and they can be written in Portuguese or Spanish,
- Papers should clearly point out the work contribution for the IE area, the research methodology, and its originality;
- The SBC template for publishing papers must be used;
- The paper structure must present: work title, author, institution/department, advisor and co-advisor(s) with their affiliation, abstract/resumo (Portuguese), and text.
- Incomplete submissions (all data requested by JEMS and the corresponding file properly loaded according to the established rules) will be immediately rejected and therefore will not participate in the PHASE I.
- Papers selected in the PHASE I will be published in the Proceedings of the CBIE 2016 after considering the changes suggested by the reviewers, as long as the first author has completed his/her registration for the event.
The publication of the paper will comply with the following rules:
- If the paper contains an original work, it will be published as a full paper;
- If it is not original (already published in another event including CBIE), the publication will be an abstract (one page) by the authors and it should include the full reference of the publication in the event;
- All files must be submitted in a PDF format, through JEMS.
Evaluation of the submitted works
- PHASE 1: The paper and the full text will be reviewed by at least two reviewers (professors and researchers in the area). Up to 6 (six) best works will be selected for each category (doctoral thesis, master’s dissertation and final undergraduate work). The committee will appoint only the work that they deem appropriate to compete for the awards, including the possibility of having no selected work to compete in one or more categories.
- PHASE 2: this phase will be held during the CBIE 2016 and the first author (who defended the work) should make an oral presentation, in no more than 20 minutes, for a committee composed of three members who will evaluate the quality of the presentation and they may ask questions for the author. For cases of undergraduate work with more than one author (team), the presentation may be made by only one member. Work of authors without presentation in the PHASE II will be excluded from the process.
At the end, the CTD-IE organizing committee will internally wrap up the two phases and eventually the members of the Program Committee may be involved to determine the awarded work in each category. The announcement of the awarded works will be done in the conference awards session.
- Deadline for proposal submissions: July 04, 2016
- Notification of finalists: August 15, 2016
- Camera-ready version: August 22, 2016
- Phase II will be held during the CBIE 2016